Thursday, October 14, 2010

Incredible Woman #52 - Lynn Woodard. Advice...

KARA: "Do you have a favorite book or quote or song that became meaningful to you during your cancer journey?"

LYNN: "With my first cancer, the song I memorized was Bring on the Rain. Can't remember the artist that sang it right now. My favorite books were the scriptures, I never read them so desperately and deeply as I did then, because I knew that is ultimately where I would find my answers, and peace. The type of peace that the world could not give me! I also love the book CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SURVIVORS SOUL, it had a ton of survivor's stories and experiences. It was nice to know you aren't the only one going through some of these things!"

KARA: "What advice would you give to a woman who is newly diagnosed with breast cancer?"

LYNN: "So, I keep thinking to myself what I tell other women who I counsel about when things of this magnitude hit their lives? The first thing is to get all the information, next to pick their team mates - who are your main supporters that become so vital for you? Make sure you only pick people who believe in you and support you in whatever decision you make, people who trust that you have the wherewithall to make the right decision. There are tons of people out there willing to give you their opinions and remind you of all the things that could go wrong and tell you what to do, even though they have never been in this situation before. Personally, I wouldn't pick them to support you. Making decisions like these are Big and you don't need any bad energy that some people have to share. I would tell these sweet women to get back to the basics, find out what their core beliefs are. Do they believe in a God or not? That is real important, because these situations make you face exactly how much you can take, and it is vital to know that you don't have to do any of this ALONE unless you choose to. And last,but not least, I would say to them have FAITH - faith to know that we all have the answers inside us to the tough questions that come in our lives. Faith that your Heavenly Father will be there and will help you fight these battles. Faith in the Savior Jesus Christ, He truly understands what we are going through and will help comfort us and give us a peace that the world doesn't have to offer. The women like I mentioned before, that I have met along the way in life, are amazing women and they all seem to be tougher than they even imagined that they could be. Everyone of them come from all walks of life, all different religious beliefs, but understand that we are given these things for a reason and we all have been the better and stronger for it.

I keep reading this poem that I have on my mirror and I know that it helps me realize the bigger picture of life, instead of dwelling on the problems that I am having right now. It goes like this...


"OUR DEEPEST FEAR IS NOT THAT WE ARE INADEQUATE. OUR DEEPEST FEAR IS THAT WE ARE POWERFUL BEYOND MEASURE. IT IS OUR LIGHT, NOT OUR DARKNESS, THAT MOST FRIGHTENS US. WE ASK OURSELVES, WHO AM I TO BE BRILLIANT, GORGEOUS, TALENTED, FABULOUS? ACTUALLY, WHO ARE YOU NOT TO BE? YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD. YOUR PLAYING SMALL DOES NOT SERVE THE WORLD. THERE IS NOTHING ENLIGHTENING ABOUT SHRINKING SO THAT OTHER PEOPLE WON'T FEEL UNSURE AROUND YOU. WE WERE BORN TO MAKE MANIFEST THE GLORY OF GOD THAT IS WITHIN US. IT IS NOT JUST IN SOME OF US; IT IS IN EVERYONE. AS WE LET OUR OWN LIGHT SHINE, WE UNCONSCIOUSLY GIVE OTHER PEOPLE PERMISSION TO DO THE SAME. AS WE ARE LIBERATED FROM OUR OWN FEAR, OUR PRESENCE AUTOMATICALLY LIBERATES OTHERS." -Marianne Williamson

Join us tomorrow for the last day of our PINK WEEK with Lynn.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers for Incredible Women