Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Incredible Woman #38 - Barbara Anderson. Tuesday's Question.

KARA: "Tell us about the businesses you have owned. Which one was the most successful? what are the good and bad things about owning your own business?"

BARBARA: "I have owned a beauty salon for 25 years. It was a great way to help support the family and be able to take time with my children when they needed me. You meet a lot of great people and I made some great friendships over the years.I sold the salon and opened a craft store and taught painting classes. I loved it but the 6 days a week, 12 hour days finally got to me and after 5 years we sold the store to one of my customers and taught painting for a few more years. Then I worked 3 or 4 days a week to help out financially. I guess both of my companies were successful in their own right. We had good customers that supported us in both for many years. We made some really good friends and I learned some good talents to pass on to my family. Both girls cut hair very well and do their families and they paint very well also, Kris taught classes with me and Kara loves it. In the future I'm sure we will enjoy painting together.

The only bad thing about owning your own business I guess is making sure that you provide for your future financially. It is very easy to over look the savings account and just have a good time."

KARA: "Talk about some of the trials you have been through. What has helped you get through those tough times. Which trial has helped you grow the most, taught you the most?"

BARBARA: "When our girls were teenagers, our financial life fell apart and we had to take out bankruptcy. That was not a time I would like to go through again. To be parents of teenagers and have nothing left but kids and furniture is hard. The kids don't understand and it is hard to try to explain to them what is happening and you just want to make it all go away and be ok again. It took a lot of years of hard work to get back to being prosperous again. And because you are so worried about everything it is hard to see the bad effects it has on your children .

Probably our most devastating trial was the loss of our second daughter. She was born at the 6th month of my pregnancy, and lived for one day. I think my husband and I both fell back on our religion on this trial and it helped us get through the tough days. Since that time, I have tried to live the best I can so that in the next life I can have her with me.

My daughters illnesses have been very hard for me to experience. When your children are grown you can only be there for them to lean on for support. You can't tell them what is best or what to do. You can only pray they will get through and be well again. That is when I must turn to a higher authority than myself to get through those trying times."

Join us tomorrow for 2 more questions/answers in our interview with Barbara.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers for Incredible Women