Monday, November 2, 2009

Incredible Woman #12 - Betty Pearson. Monday's question...

This week I'd like to introduce Betty Pearson. I have met Betty only once, and she probably doesn't remember me. :-) But, she has made a big impact on my life in the last 2-3 years. My son, Grant, served an LDS mission to Fukuoka, Japan from February of 2007 to March of 2009. While he was serving there, I stumbled across an email list for the moms of LDS missionaries in Japan. I joined the list, and I can't tell you how much it helped me through those 2 years. I met many wonderful people on the list, and got lots of help. Betty and her husband are the two that run that list. And I found out that they run TONS of them - list for moms of missionaries from all over the world!!!! And they do it all for free. What an incredible service. Don't you think? So, now that you know why I'm featuring Betty.... here are the first two questions in our interview.

KARA: " Please tell us about yourself... likes, dislikes, hobbies, talents, etc. What makes you an Incredible Woman?"
BETTY: "I have so many hobbies and interests, and not enough time to do them all! I love to go bicycling when the weather permits. My husband and I ride on bike trails all over our area. It's fun, and I miss it very much when the snow comes and prevents us from getting out. I love to knit/crochet. I am a beginning knitter. I taught myself how to crochet. I like doing things with my hands, and find it hard to completely sit still or waste a minute of my time. I play the cello, and that is how I met my husband, Karl. He plays the oboe. We met in an orchestra pit for a musical. He proposed on our 3rd date, and we've been married for nearly 32 years. I also teach music lessons. I love gardening. We grew a very large garden this year. Each year we try to grow something new. This year it was Butternut squash, and I've decided that it is so good we will plant it again next year. I grow my most of my veggie plants from seed. The only space I have is our living room window, so my husband set up grow lights in the bay, and my plants thrived. :-) I learned how to do home bottling last year. This past year I learned to bottle salsa, spaghetti sauce, and 3-bean salad. Last year I learned how to bottle fruit. I also dehydrate everything in sight. :-) Right now I am drying apples, and in a couple of days I'm going to learn how to bottle applesauce. I love to learn, and history is my favorite subject. Math is my least favorite. I am really interested in the history of England right now, and am searching for a good book. Know of any? I also love to learn about nutrition and health. Another thing I found a love for is family history and genealogy research. Karl and I train others in our area (Stake) on how to do it. Karl is the computer expert, and I am the research expert. Any spare minute I get, I am doing research on the computer. I find it fascinating. It has been fun to use modern technology to see places where I most likely will never visit. I google earthed (is that the right way to say it?) where my father was born and raised in Germany. I looked in Cornwall, England, where some of my ancestors drowned in a river. I found the street that they lived on. I love music! Of course I have my favorite classical music, but love musicals of all kinds, and have played in the orchestra pit in many community theaters. I also love to read. I like all kinds of fiction/non-fiction. Right now I am reading the Percy Jackson series. I especially like fiction for youth. I think it is time to read the Anne of Green Gables series again. I've only read them once many years ago. I have a list of books I want to read. I also like to watch movies. Friday or Saturday night is movie night! My dislikes are... time wasters. I sometimes hate the thought of needing to sleep at night. Just think of all that could be done when one didn't need to sleep! Of course, my family members would still need to sleep, or how else could I ever "catch up" on things if there is twice as much to do? I just wish I had some secret potion I could take that would keep me youthful and rested, and let me get more things done by not needing to sleep. Although I love food, especially chocolate, buttery popcorn and ice cream, many times I am not in the mood to cook. I love reading and collecting cookbooks, but because of my restricted diet, cooking just isn't fun anymore. My youngest son LOVES cooking, so sometimes we work out a deal. He will cook dinner if I do the dishes. I love it! I heartily dislike spiders and many other creepy crawlies. I love spring, but hate cold winter nights. I do not like pettiness, nor gossip. Well, that's about all I can think of.

What makes me an Incredible Woman? Gosh, I don't know how to answer that one. I consider myself a normal woman, but a busy one because I choose to be busy. Does that make sense? There are many incredible people who have a lot of incredible talents."

KARA: "What is one word to describe your family - and one word to describe each of your children?"
BETTY: "Only one word to describe our family? Oh boy, that is tough. Crazy/never boring. How is that? haha!

One word about each of my children that I love? That is tough because there are many things about each one of them that I love.

My family: I have to put down more than one word about my husband.
Karl is a wonderful man. He is absolutely awesome. He is so willing to help others. He has a dry sense of humor and is never boring. He can do anything he sets his mind to doing. He is talented, a genius, a fun dad. A genuinely good guy.

Lisa, age 31. Married, mother of two darling girls. Compassionate and caring.

Erik, age 29. Married with one daughter and another girl expected in January. Has a great sense of humor.

Andrea, age 27. Single and college graduate, teaching orchestra. Friendly.

Glenn, age 25. Married and has a little boy. A hard worker.

Daniel, age 23. Mischievous/tease.

Michael, age 19. A quiet thinker.

Josh, age 16. A tender heart."

Wow, I'm impressed. It's not easy to describe your husband and children with so few words. Thanks to Betty for trying! Tomorrow the interview continues. And, as I've mentioned before... if you have anyone to nominate for Incredible Women, please email me at kara(dot)incrediblewomen(at)gmail(dot)com.

21 comments:

Donna Jaco said...

Thanks for giving us more insight into Betty. She is an incredible woman and has brought so many people together through her "mom" email groups. Thanks also for the pictures, glad I can now put a face with the name.
~Donna Jaco

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to honor a woman that so many of us have heard from...talked to...and learned from. It is wonderful to put a face to this woman and learn of just how extraordinary she is! I know now that her family is very blessed to have her...as a wife, mother, and grandmother...in all of their lives.

Julene Scott

Rita Rawlins said...

I have known Betty since 2000. She truly is an incredible woman. She continues to lift others even though she has her own constant family trials going on. I am only one of so many women whose lives are better because of Betty. (I also want to mention that Betty can do all that she does because of the unfailing support of her husband Karl. The two of them are an amazing team!)

Bridgette Fife said...

I have been on lists with her since early 1996. I have been able to meet many sisters I met on Betty's lists. What a fun way to have a support group for different stages of life.
I am on several lists, home moms, missionary, and political groups.
Thanks Betty (and family)

Lesta Sims said...

I am a member of the Missionary Mom's email list and I can tell you that I already thought Betty was an incredible woman! Now, it's just official! ;-)

Betty does so much for so many. I am truly thankful for all the effort and love she puts into helping others like me. It is nothing short of amazing, as to how Betty can fit so much into her daily life. I need to take notes and learn from her, for sure!

Kara, thank you for writing about Betty because I may not know her personally, but I do know she is not the type of woman to brag about herself. Thanks!

Linda said...

Thank you, Kara, for helping us celebrate the real celebrities in life!!

I love so many wonderful women, and Betty is truly high in the ranks of amazing!

BJ Barnes said...

Kara, thanks for doing this blog post on Betty! I'm just one of many missionary moms who's life has been greatly blessed from Betty and Karl's m.m. site! :) I've now been affiliated with them for 6 yrs. and in that time I've developed a great respect and admiration for them both! They truely deserve recognition for the selfless service they give! :)

Just Passin' Time said...

Betty is a very inspiring person. She's someone I wish that I lived closer to and could go for walks/bike rides with. Thanks for letting us get to know her a little better.

Kathy said...

I'm on one of Betty's Missionary Mom lists, and have really enjoyed it. I am amazed at all the things Betty does! She IS an amazing woman and I wish her and her family all the blessings she can stand. Thank you for profiling her on your site!

Lorine Taylor said...

Betty is WONDERFUL and so is her dh Karl. Their missionary moms & other email groups have been a very positive and uplifting influence in my life. They have connected me with my worldwide Relief Society sisters & a few brothers. They are truly examples of people who went about doing good of their own accord.

lori said...

Thank you for letting us get to know Betty better. She IS quite amazing. And very energetic. I'm so thankful for her willingness to get us together in the Mission Mom's group. I appreciate that group and all her efforts.

Kayleen said...

Betty and Karl have been wonderful to provide such a fabulous service to moms while their children are serving the Lord or our country. Incredible is the word I would use to describe Betty, especially after reading your blog about her.

gobyucougars said...

Wow! It's so nice to finally put a face to the wonderful woman who has done so much for so many other "wonderful women" ... women who send out sons and daughters to serve as missionaries and soldiers... women who dedicate their lives to homeschooling their kids... women who are totally dedicated to their families! Betty is my hero -- and I've never even met her!!!

Paula said...

Kara, thank you for sharing this wonderful person as well as your wonderful idea with all of us... I can't even begin to tell you all the wonderful things that the missionary group I belong to has done for me. I appreciate how much Betty has used the talents and time she has been given for the benefit of everyone around her. Perhaps what makes her extraordinary is her courage...the courage it takes to never feel that trials are a burden but only something to learn from...the courage to never have an unkind thing to say about someone...the courage to "find herself" by losing herself to the service of others, and especially the courage to really heed the words "Come, follow me."

Kathy V said...

What a great idea for a blog and how wonderful it is to "meet" Betty. I've enjoyed my association with Missionary Moms so very much, thanks to Betty's amazing work.

Anonymous said...

WHat an awesom idea. Thanks, maybe you need to be nominated for this. GOod to finally "meet" Betty.
Shari Bradley

slchugs said...

I'm very grateful Kara
To have this chance to say
That Betty and her Karl
Make each day a brighter day.
For once, I felt alone
Then her mailing lists I found
And since that day I am happier
So many friends----a friendship sound!
Betty is a great example
Of someone taking one step at a time
She'll leave a legacy of living
From mortal becoming the divine....
Yes, Betty is my friend
I treasure her, you see
And something tells me that I knew her
Even before eternity.

Love you Betty!
Shanna Hugie

Susan said...

What a delightful blog idea to write about amazing women in our lives. I,too, am glad to "know" Betty. I'm starting my 2nd year being on the MM site. I enjoy it. Thanks for everything Betty!
Keep up the great idea of celebrating others!

Sharon Snyder said...

Dear Betty,
I look forward to waking up each morning to read comments from missionary moms. Thank you so much for organizing such a wonderful web site. I actually met my son's companions mom and dad through this web page. It was wonderful. Thank you.

carolyne b said...

For those of us who know Betty only by the missionary mom website she truly is an example of a hero. Before her there was no contact with other moms who had the same experience as myself. I live in an area where there is one stake centre and 5 wards but we don't get together. Thanks Betty!!

Dawn said...

I belong to the missionary moms list also and it is nice to put a face with a name. I also read your blog so it is doubly nice.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers for Incredible Women