Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Incredible Woman #31 - Ginger Johnson. Wednesday's Questions...

KARA: "Can you tell us about your experience being an aid for a little girl with Cerebral Palsy? How did this change you?"

GINGER: "Oh, if only everyone could meet Brianna! I was so lucky to able to work with her this past year as her assistant in a preschool class in Clinton. She is a bright and vibrant 4 year old whose spirit truly touched mine. I feel that oftentimes children with disabilities are overlooked or mistreated because people don't know how to respond to them. It's so unfortunate because they have so much to offer. My younger brother is handicapped, so I was raised knowing that people with disabilities are not really any different than "normal" people are. They want to be loved, they want to be respected, they want to have friends and have fun. It's the same thing we all want out of life. The main difference is that some people with disabilities can't tell us that is what they want. Brianna falls into that category. Her speech is very limited until you learn to listen and start to understand what she is telling you. I know that if she could talk more clearly we'd all be amazed with the things she could share. You can see it in her eyes when she looks at you. Her mind is very alert and she is one smart cookie! It's just a matter of helping her communicate what she needs and taking the time to listen. I know that although she will face many trials in her life she will be able to overcome them all because of her inner strength and determination. She taught me something new everyday I was with her and I always left the classroom with a smile on my face because of her example.

As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I know that because of Christ's resurrection, one day we will all be resurrected and have perfected bodies. I honestly cannot wait until that day arrives and I can talk with Brianna and hear all the things she wants to tell me in perfect clarity. That will be a special day for me."


KARA: "What kinds of books do you like to read? Are you part of a Book Club? Suggest a few good books for our readers."

GINGER: "I love snuggling up with a good book when I have the time. Some of my favorite authors include Dan Brown, Jon Grisham and Stephenie Meyer. I'm currently reading Jesus The Christ by James Talmage and I'd recommend that to anyone who wants to learn more about the Savior. It's an incredible book that you read slowly so you are able to process all the information it contains."


Tomorrow, we'll talk to Ginger about the importance of friendship, and also about her website... HAPPY CHEMO. We'd love it if you returned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers for Incredible Women