Thursday, March 18, 2010

Incredible Woman #30 - Laurel Cochrane. Thursday's Questions...

KARA: "As a mom with grown children, and a grandmother, what words of wisdom can you share with us about raising children?"

LAUREL: "As far as I am concerned, the most important thing is to love your children and to let them know how much you love them. Give them lots of positive feedback and encouragement so that they develop good self-images but don't feed their egos with a false sense of conceit. Be consistent but not dictatorial. No matter the circumstances, have fun with them. Help them to explore and develop their talents, whatever those may be. Help them learn to serve others. Teach them to be self-reliant. Make sure they learn to cook and clean and to have good hygiene. Help them love learning. But most of all love them for who they are!"


KARA: "I’m curious about your job as an engineer, working for AT&T. Describe that time in your life and tell us what you are most proud of."

LAUREL: "I pretty much covered my work life so I will just say that I appreciate working for a company that overlooked the fact that I was a high school dropout and took a chance on me and that provided opportunities to grow and develop in the company.

I think the thing I am most please about in my job performance is the last year I worked there. Building was booming and I was assigned to three of the areas that were experiencing unprecedented business and residential growth, La Jolla, The Golden Triangle, and the La Costa/Carlsbad area. Normally a Planning Engineer designs and terminates a major feeder cable only once a year, if that. During my last year there I designed and terminated 12 major feeder cables out of the central offices and designed the first fiber optic ring in San Diego. When you design a job you manage it until the work is completed. It was a whirlwind year but I was very happy with the results. It was very rewarding. As it turned out one of those areas was exactly where our San Diego Temple was built. That was an added blessing, to know that I had a part in making sure the facilities were there for that temple."

Please come back tomorrow - the last day of our interview with Laurel. You won't want to miss it!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers for Incredible Women