Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Incredible Woman #22 - Sarah Ogden. Tuesday's Questions

KARA: "Describe what you do in a typical week."

SARAH: "My typical week is usually not planned - I really don't care to have plans unless it is for something that I have to do during that week so I don't forget, cause I do that A LOT!!!! I just started working for my brother-in-law's sister watching her kids during the week. In my "free" time I like to talk on the phone, go to the temple, watch my nieces and nephews, go to the mall or do whatever with my friends, and that's about it... I did work in the temple but because of my job I had to stop :(. I miss it so very much and love all my ladies that work there on Thursdays. They are great examples to me."

KARA: "Everyone has trials – what have been some of yours, and how have you overcome them? What have you learned from your trials?"

SARAH: "When I was a baby, I was diagnosed with a liver disease, called Biliaretristia (don't ask me how you spell it cause I have not a clue!) At the time my Doctor was Doug Hacking and he had no idea what it was either, so he told my parents to come back tomorrow and he will fast and pray about it and he will have the answer... So of course they came back and he still had no idea. But he was still hopeful and said "I am just going to open my Medical Book and put my finger on something". So he did and he was right on the nose with it. We went up to Primary Children's Medical Center. We met Doctor Linda Book, a liver doctor who in my opinion is the BEST!!! I love her much. And, well, long story short... I was put on the waiting list for a liver transplant and when I was 14 months old had my transplant in Omaha Nebraska. My surgeons were Dr. Wood and Dr. Shaw, with Lori Todd as my liver coordinator. Now we will fast forward life a little. During that time there have been a few road blocks along the way, but nothing blocked me from anything - having red hair has its benefits... nothing stands in our way and nothing can conquer us. So I thought until a few years ago, when I was not feeling all so great. It was a Sunday and I was in bed, And all of a sudden I got this pounding headache... you know, the ones that feel like a migraine? Well let me tell you, I knew this was just no small thing and I told my mom that we need to go to the hospital now. So my brother Adam carried me out to the car and we went to Payson hospital, cause Provo was too far for me at the moment. When we got there they did the usual questions about what was going on and so I told them....my temp was fine but when they took my blood pressure that was another story. My blood pressure was 175/125 and was about to have a stroke. They hurried and called in a medication for me - all I could remember was it was SICK!!! You had to brake it with your teeth then put it under your tongue. Then Monday we were up at Primary... doing tests, and I think I had a liver Biopsy but can't remember. My brain only remembers things here and there. So the tests were done and they got the results back and once again
my favorite Dr. Book was telling us the bad news... and back on the transplant list I went, but this time it wasn't just for a liver but a kidney as well. I stayed at Primary for most of the time with Dr. Book, then for my kidney I went to the University of Utah. Then Dr.Book and the rest of the transplant team thought it would be best for me to just do all of my care at the U of U. The kidney doctors all wanted me to go onto dialysis, but being the red-headed stubborn person I am, I refused over and over until the day I ended up in the ICU and I had a choice to either become more sick or go on dialysis, and so I finally decided I better start treatment. So June 30th of 2007 I had my first treatment and it was not the greatest. I spent a few nights at Provo hospital on the third floor and the best part of being on that floor was that my cousin Sheri Kaye was working almost every night, so she and I would go down to the Cafe West and she would buy me a hot cocoa. From that point on all I remember is going to stupid dialysis and sitting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours every other day. I think the best thing that has come from that is I met my Sue there. (And going out with one of the techs.) I was lucky, though, I only had to be on dialysis for a couple of months. And then I got the phone call. My sister Aimee and her kids where living with us at the time and she was on the computer when the phone rang. She answered and they asked for me. I thought it was the dialysis center cause I didn't go that day. So I told her to tell them I didn't come in cause I didn't feel good. She said "I don't think it's them." So I got on and the voice on the other end said "Sarah would you like to have a transplant today?" I really wanted to say today - really? When I don't feel great..hummmm - no thanks! LOL! Well, lets just say I started to cry and the next thing I know my Mom came and got me and we went and picked up my dad from work and my sister Heather, and up to the U of U we went. Around 9pm I had my double transplant... I was in the waiting room for about 8 hours and it sucked because I couldn't eat or drink. I was so pissed off... my family went and ate and my Aunt Louise stayed with me. When they wheeled me to the OR I asked to see Dr. Sorensen (my surgeon) and I told him that I was scared and he told the anesthesiologist to give me more sleeping drugs! LOL. And the next thing I know I am waking up to tubes all over and nurses getting me all put away for the next little while. I was wanting to tell my mom to call people and so I was trying to sign to her - it was pretty funny. The nurse said "I think she is breathing well enough that we can take the breathing tube out". And so they did and I was so happy! But my mouth was dry and I couldn't have anything - but my nurse ROCKED! and gave me a stick of gum. The next week was full of hope that the new organs would keep doing their job and a lot of recovery. The next day they made me get up and walk - I wanted to punch someone cause I felt like my stomach was going to fall out. I was only in the hospital a week! How I over came this trial - a lot of prayers and fasting from not only myself, but from my family and my ward family and all of my friends. And another thing that gave me a lot of comfort was my Patriarchal Blessing (a personal blessing given by one who holds the Priesthood authority in the LDS church)."

KARA: Wow. What a hard thing to have to go through. I've been through some tough times myself, but I always seem to find others who have tougher trials than me - no matter what I go through. I agree with Sarah - prayer is the key to overcoming trials. Tomorrow we'll hear from Sarah again with two more questions/answers. Hope you'll visit then.


Karen said...

Wow. I can't imagine. I've been through a lot of stuff, but never anything life-threatening! And to stay strong through it all...you're right. She is an incredible woman.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Karen.

Post a Comment

Blog Design by April Showers for Incredible Women