Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Incredible Woman #15 - Kim Weitkamp. Wednesday's Questions

KARA: "What is one of the most inspiring things that has happened to you?"

KIM: "I have had so many inspiring moments, but I will stick with storytelling for my answer. My first trip to the National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough, TN was radically inspiring. It was as if I had finally found my fit…my people. It sounds so corny, but I had a life changing moment there when I realized that there were other people who thought like me, communicated like me, and valued story like me. I had no idea that subculture existed. In other cultures storytellers are considered valuable assets to the community and culture. It is something that is missing here in the States, but that is slowly changing."

KARA: "You have a new program, called the Wrinkles Program. Tell us all about that – I think it’s amazing!"

KIM: "The Wrinkles Project is a national campaign to raise awareness of the treasure that we have in the stories of our ‘seasoned citizens’. The Wrinkles Project has been in the works for almost 4 years. The first two were just pilot programs, working out the kinks. Then I started teaching the workshops about the project throughout the country. Just recently we launched our website (thewrinklesproject.com) and are currently focusing on having a Wrinkles Rep in every state by 2011. Our representatives receive training and resources to go into places like retirement communities and senior centers. They do workshops with the residents and train the directors on how to gather and share their stories. We even give the residents the option of archiving their story in book form."

Return tomorrow to learn more about Kim! By-the-way, Kim has agreed to give away 2 of her storytelling CDs to lucky readers of the blog. Make sure you comment on one of the posts this week to be entered into the drawing!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers for Incredible Women