Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Incredible Woman #34 - Michelle Chapeau. Wednesday's Questions

KARA: "What are the challenges and blessing of being a single mom, who has adopted children?"

MICHELLE: "The challenges of being a single parent with adopted children? Well, I wake up every day wishing that I could win the lottery and not have to go to work every day. I think every working mother does. It's hard when I don't get off work on time or something happens and I am going to be late and I know my little people have to be picked up by 6pm. When I can't get someone on the phone panic sets in. Thankfully, this has only happened once and it worked out in the end. It's hard when I have had no sleep or am sick and they are jumping on my saying "Mommy, get up!". The mommy guilt motivates me no matter how sick or exhausted I am. It's extremely hard knowing that I am all they have and that if something were to happen to me their whole lives would be turned upside down. Every single decision I make is based on what is good for them.

The blessings are so incredibly numerous they completely outweigh the challenges. I have two little people who think that I put the sun and moon in the sky. They know that there is nothing that I would not do for them. They love me unconditionally and the best part of my day is when I pick them up from school and they see me and come screaming "MOMMY" across the room as they run into my arms. I don't have to share them with anyone. They don't have to go somewhere else every other weekend. They are 100% all mine and I would not have it any other way. It completely cracks me up when people ask me if they are twins and I tell them no, that they are adopted and 41 days apart. They always get this funny look on their face and then that is followed by "are they brother and sister?" to which I reply that they have the same last name. So many people have told me that my daughter looks just like me, as if I birthed her myself. I don't see it, but ok. It is amazing to be able to watch them learn and grow. They make me a better person."


KARA: "What inspires you?"


MICHELLE: "People that inspire me are those that actually have the skills to go into third world countries, like Guatemala, and use those skills to help others. If I could do it all over again, I would be a pediatric surgeon so I could go and help children in these third world countries that so desperately need it."

1 comments:

carolyne b said...

Motherhood is the greatest reward God ever gave to women.. we have children who love unconditionally, who when we make a mess of something don't condone us...and they only ask for a few things. Love, security and comfort. I work in an innner city community centre and see children on a daily basis who lack these simple things. How sad.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers for Incredible Women