Monday, August 24, 2009

Incredible Woman #3 - LoriAnne Spear. Monday's questions

Kara: "This week we'll be featuring LoriAnne Spear - our 3rd Incredible Woman. LoriAnne, tell us a little bit about yourself. What are your hobbies, talents, beliefs, etc. Talk about what you do to have fun. What makes you happy? What makes you an “Incredible Woman”?"

LoriAnne
: "I am 43, born in Salt Lake City, lived here until I was 10 and then moved to Littleton, Colorado. Came back to Utah to go to college, and have lived in Utah most my married life, here in Cedar Hills for 11 years. I have been married 23 years to Steve and we have four children, 3 boys and a girl. I work at BYU’s Linguistics Department as a secretary over the TA’s/RA’s, and payroll manager. I’ve been there 3 years. I love to read, but don’t have as much time as I’d like. My book group keeps me going though, in keeping that hobby alive. I enjoy gardening, both flower and vegetable, but hate weeding. I spend too much money on flowers, but I love the results. I enjoy crocheting and needlework, and my sweet, patient friend Ellen has introduced me to the world of quilting, and I am currently working on my first quilt, with lots of her help. I love to travel to places I’ve never been to before. Thanks to my husband’s job, all his travel and his frequent flier miles, I’ve been to places I wouldn’t have otherwise been able to see. I love getting together with other couples and having a cheap date night with a pot luck dinner and then games, or watching a video or college football game. The food is always so much more delicious and it’s free. No crowds, no waiting for a table, no smell of movie theater popcorn making me want to buy it!"

Kara: Tell me about your family. Describe your kids and tell me what you like to do with each one of them.

LoriAnne: Jeff (21), Riley (19), Tanner (18) and Melia (14). Jeff returned from his LDS mission in Calgary Spanish speaking in January. Riley is currently in the New Jersey (Spanish speaking) LDS mission, and Tanner is leaving for Brigham Young University on Aug. 23rd. We will just have one little birdie our nest. I can feel this new phase of life starting, whether I’m ready for it or not. I enjoy Jeff in a new way now – as an adult. He’s a young fledgling of an adult, and it’s sometimes enjoyable, but sometimes scary to watch him figure out how the adult world works. My advice is probably too much offered, but it’s most rewarding when he realizes something on his own, and just does it. I love that he worries about me now and then, and gives me spontaneous hugs much more than he did as a teenager. Riley is on his mission, and it’s that wonderful little stage where you get letters about how incredible the gospel and the atonement are, and how much he loves and appreciates us. He shares with us his frustrations and how he works through those. He is a sunshine-y guy, always has been and I miss him and his hugs and his laugh, but
wouldn’t want him anywhere else. Tanner is our comic relief man. He has a great love and ability in theater, and even as a little toddler sought out ways to make us laugh and get the spotlight on him. He has a hilarious sense of humor and irony. He is the hardest working student I’ve ever seen, and is looking forward to realizing his dream of attending BYU (I’m not being dramatic – it’s honestly been his fondest dream for most of his life) and he is a huge sports fan. He keeps us appraised on how many days and hours are left until the Cougars’ opening kickoff. Melia is always my babygirl, even if on the first day of school this year, she wouldn’t let me come out on the porch in my bathrobe to take her “first day of school” picture. I had to take it from inside the door as she stood trying to look uninterested on the porch. After all, her friends were waiting for her on the sidewalk! She is a walking paradox – a tough, sweaty, down in the dirt soccer player one day, and then a primping, coy little cheerleader the next."

Come back tomorrow to enjoy two more questions/answers about LoriAnne.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers for Incredible Women